2013 Grand Mesa Nordic Council
First Snow NRL Race
Saturday-Sunday, December 7-8, 2013
The Grand Mesa Nordic Council (Gmnc.org)
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Tuesday, December 3
|Deadline for NRL racer registration (citizen and novice racers may register on race day if necessary)
Wednesday, December 4
|Preliminary NRL entry list published for review
Thursday, December 5
|Deadline for corrections to entry list
|Start lists published
Friday, December 6
|Course open for inspection
Saturday, December 7
Classic Individual 15-Second Interval Starts
||Registration and bib pickup
||5K Classic Men (Senior, OJ/J1/J2)
||5k Classic Women (Senior, OJ/J1/J2)
||3K Classic Men J3
||3K Classic Men J4
||3K Classic Women J3
||3K Classic Women J4
||1K Classic Men (J5, J6)
||1K Classic Women (J5, J6)
||5K Classic Citizens Race MASS START
||5K Classic Men Novice
||5km Classic Women Novice
Sunday, December 8
Skate Mass Start
||Registration and Bib Pickup
||10k Skate Men (Senior, OJ/J1)
||5k Skate Women (Senior, OJ/J1/J2)
||5K Skate Men (J2)
||3K Skate Men J3
||3K Skate Men J4
||3K Skate Women J3
||3K Skate Women J4
||1K Skate Men (J5/J6)
||1K Skate Women (J5/J6)
||5km Skate CITIZENS MASS START
||5km Skate Men Novice
||5km Skate Women Novice
CITIZEN & NOVICE REGISTRATION
- Citizen and novice (racers age 12+ who are not racing for USSA points) are the only categories that may registration race day. Race day registration closes at 12:45 pm Saturday and 12pm Sunday.
- Citizen/Novice entry fee $15 per race ($10 GMNC members).
- TEAM ENTRY DEADLINE IS Tuesday, December 4
- Email Christie (Christie@nasw.org) for a registration sheet and waivers.
- A USSA waiver is required for all non-USSA members.
- Bibs will be collected at the finish on Sunday.
- DNS and DNF bibs must be returned to the finish crew – no one else.
- There will be a $50 fee for lost or damaged bibs.
TEAM ENTRY FEES
Entry fees for GMNC First Snow NRL:
- Elite/J2-OJ: $35 per race
- J3-J4 $25 per race
- J5-J6: $15
Trail Fees are included.
Make checks payable to GMNC.
ONE CHECK PER TEAM FOR BOTH DAYS PAYABLE ON SATURDAY PLEASE!
COURSE NOTES, INSPECTION, AND COURSE CLOSURE
- Backwards skiing on race courses at any time is strictly forbidden.
- Never cross the finish line unless you are finishing your race.
- Non-racers/Non-coaches are forbidden to ski on course at any time.
- Skiers warming up on course must ski with their bibs inside out.
- All courses close at 9:50am
- Courses will remain open for inspection until 8:50am.
- Classic tracks will be set single track best line. May change based on snow conditions.
- Warm-up Areas
Seed orders may be adjusted dependent on conditions and jury decision.
FIS/USSA = The lower of a skier’s FIS or USSA points.
Saturday: Individual Start
- Female J2 and older, Male J1 and older:
- Run BAC
- “A” Top 15 USSA points random draw
- “B” All remaining USSA points, lowest to highest
- “C” No points, random draw
- “A” USSA points random draw
- “B” No points, random draw
- Random draw
Sunday: Mass Start
For Senior, OJ/J1/J2 USSA distance points, then USSA members without points, then results from Saturday’s race.
J3/J4/J5/J6 based on Saturday’s race.
Technical Delegate: Quincee Cotton*
- Assistant TD: TBA*
- Chief of Competition: Dave Aschwanden*
- Chief of Course: Toby Morse
- Chief of Stadium: Annie Murphy
- Timing: Four Corners Timing
* Race Jury
Cancellation policy: if snow conditions are insufficient to hold the race Dec 7/8, race may be rescheduled for the following weekend. Final decision will be announced at 7pm Tuesday, Dec. 3 and posted at gmnc.org.
Venue is Skyway Trail System (east off of Highway 65, Mesa, Colorado). There are no mandatory trail fees, but users are encouraged to make contributions at the donation boxes located at the trailhead. GMNC memberships and donations fund grooming operations.
Registration and bib pickup at the warming hut at Skyway. (From the parking lot, head toward the left down the hill, follow signs.)
There is no power at Skyway. If you plan to bring a generator for waxing, please set up away from the start/finish area. We will have a practice loop and space for ski testing near the warming hut (to the north of the parking lot).
Results will be posted on a board near the finish.
There is no electricity at the venue. Teams are encouraged to set up their wax tables to the north of the start/finish area (near the warming hut).
There is no running water at the venue. Please bring your own water and water bottles. We will have some water and sports drink, but supplies will be limited. GMNC encourages its users to bring their own water bottles or cups in an effort to reduce waste.
Race Course will be available for inspection on Friday 12/6 at 12:00PM. There will be no fee for this.
There will be a 15 minute protest period after the posting of the unofficial results.
There will be technique controllers on the classic course on Saturday.
Awards will be announced and presented at the podium area near the start/finish area shortly following the finalization of results.
Parking: Only two vehicles per team will be allowed at the Skyway trailhead. Other vehicles must be parked at the County Line or Mesa Top parking areas, located a couple miles south of Skyway off Highway 65. Both lots have a small changing area and restrooms. Please see map: http://www.gmnc.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/GMNC-Map-Brochure-Map-side.pdf
Weather: Please check updated weather here: http://www.gmnc.org/conditions/weather-condition-reports/
GMNC is looking for volunteers. If any parents are available to help, please contact Christie 970-856-6783. Or email the race: Christie@nasw.org
The following lodges are offering accommodations for the race. Mention that you’re coming for the GMNC race to get race pricing.
Alexander Lake lodge
7 cabins for rent. Located about 15 min away from Skyway,
Rates: $100 to $250 per night. Cabins sleep 2 -9 people each.
Amenities: Kitchens, bathrooms, flat screen TV’s with cable, and new beds and bedding. Facilities feature a full bar, pool room, library and dinning area.
Dining: The lodge restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The Cedaredge Lodge
9 rooms available. Located about 25 minutes from Skyway.
Rates: $79 to $109 per night.
Amenities: Kitchenettes, hot tub, game room (ping pong, skee-ball, table hockey, popcorn machine, etc.), and professional massage.
Dining: Meals made to order, for guests only. Full bar service.
810 N. Grand Mesa Drive
Cedaredge, Colorado 81413
Ph: (970) 856-3727
Goldenwoods Condominiums at Powderhorn
1, 2 and 3 bedroom condos available. Located 20 minutes from Skyway.
Rates: 1 bedroom which sleeps 4, $139 per night
2 bedroom which sleeps 6 (2 per bed) $189 per night
3 bedroom which sleeps 8 (2 per bed) $249 per night