WESTERN REGIONAL REG 2012 SELECTION CRITERIA
REG DATES: June 24 – July 1, 2012
Park City, Utah
The 2012 Western Regional REG (Regional Elite Group) training camp is scheduled for Park City, Utah Sunday June 24, 2012 – Sunday July 1, 2012. June 24 is a travel day, but there will be a late afternoon run for 1.5 hours. Sunday July 1 is the departure day and there will be a one hour run in the early morning while we inspect the townhomes that we want to leave clean.
Below is the selection criteria for the REG.
1. Eligible skiers are as follows: Born in 1993 (First Year OJ), 1994, 1995 (J1 skiers), and 1996 (Second Year J2 skiers).
2. Top 12 females and top 12 males selected from the five western divisions, FW, HP, IM, PN, and RM. The results will be based on 50% Junior National results (best two out of three races), 50% USSA points. World cup scoring will be used for ranking skiers within the OJ – J1 classes in both the JN results and the USSA points. Then add the JN world cup points to the USSA world cup points to establish a final points list. In the case of ties we will use the USSA points to break the tie. If a skier in the top 12 male or female classes declines the invitation, then the next eligible skier on the list for that gender will be eligible.
Skiers who are a product of one of the five divisions and who did not compete in the Junior Nationals but who qualified for the NCAAs or who finished in the top 15 among all juniors in the USSA final points list will be eligible for the Western REG.
3. The goal is to have each of the western divisions be represented at REG. If one or more of the western divisions does not have a skier in the top 12 female or male results, then the first skier on the final points list from that respective division in each of the gender classes will be eligible for the Western REG. If either one of those top skiers declines the invitation to the REG then the invitation would go to the next best eligible skier regardless of gender from that respective division. The next best eligible skier will be determined by the best placing on their respective gender lists.
If a division is not able to have two skiers attend the REG following the process in number 3, then the quota will be filled by the next eligible skiers on the final rankings list.
4. Top three second year J2 females and males based on their J2 results at JNs (best two out of three races) and using world cup points. Eligible J2 skiers would be born in 1996. If one of these J2 skiers declines the invitation to the REG than no additional J2 skiers will be invited.
5. The goal is to have the Western REG be an elite cross country ski training camp for junior skiers and the size to not exceed 36 skiers. The goal is to have 30 skiers who were born in 1993, 1994, and 1995 attend the camp. If any of those skiers decline an invitation, the next skiers on the final result list will be invited in order to bring the camp to a size of 30 skiers in the J1 and first year OJ classes. Invitations to the REG will be sent out after the final USSA points list for the 2011 – 2012 winter season is disbursed. A target date should be April 20, 2012. Confirmation of acceptance of an invitation to the REG will be the registration form that must be received by no later than May 4, 2012.
6. Estimated cost per junior skier for the eight day camp will be $510 to $525 per skier.